Sunday, November 9, 2008

Random Mayhem


One holiday season several years ago I was walking around some mall with my friend Chris McCoy. You know how malls are decorated at holiday time: clusters of giant ornaments suspended from every possible location. While going down an escalator in an atrium with a very high ceiling we were suddenly both struck by the same image seemingly out of nowhere. Chris started to chuckle and he said, "I'm imagining those ornaments crashing down and crushing everyone under them!" He said it but I was thinking it too. I have no idea why. We hadn't been talking about anything like catastrophe as far as I can remember.

That moment has stuck with me to the point that whenever I see any sort of large decorative object suspended somewhere I can't help but imagine it resting atop a small pile of crushed and bloodied corpses.

No comments: