Friday, November 14, 2008

My Lunch Looks Nothing Like Hello Kitty


Here's a shot of the first bento box lunch I've ever made. Washoku-wise (balance of colors, flavors, cooking methods and textures) it needs work. Obviously I'll also need some more bento accessories (hint, hint, Christmas and my birthday are coming) However it was a really delicious lunch, just left-overs from last night's dinner.

Last night I made Zucchini Köfte with Beet-Bulgur Pilaf from a recipe I got on epicurious.com. I didn't have bulgur so I used giant cous-cous which saved me almost ten minutes of cooking time. The beet cous-cous was a bit bland that night, just as the reviewers had warned. It was much tastier cold for lunch today. The colors are pretty much unbeatable (like how I didn't say "unbeetable?") The only thing I really wished I had was a couple of orange slices for dessert but I don't live at the grocery store.

I took my bento to run errands today in Keene, NH. On the way I passed a jeep with a dead stag tied across its hood. I guess it's deer season in NH. I heard on the radio that rifle hunting season starts in Vermont tomorrow. Time to start sporting our orange hats.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

It looks a lot tastier than Hello Kitty. What's on the outside of your bento box?