Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It's A Whole New World

But we've still got to eat. I mean, it's not that new.


I'm forty-two years old and it finally occurred to me that you could reheat left-over fries and have them as home fries for breakfast. I put truffle salt all over everything so I had truffled eggs and truffle fries.

After voting yesterday I felt so giddy that I went on a book buying spree at three different bookstores. I got a couple of Japanese cookbooks, some knitting/crochet books, a few novels and the best notebook I've ever seen. I almost forgot that I had to take Pete to the airport so he could go to New Orleans and record a horn section.

As the election results rolled in I hid out from T.V. news and its constant rain of hyped-up speculation by watching as many crime dramas as I could find: C.S.I. and whatever BBC crime shows were on P.B.S. Periodically I'd go check npr.org on my laptop to see what was really happening. It was SO exciting to watch those states turn blue! New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, FLORIDA! It's so nice to know that the majority of Americans are somewhat rational. We took the high road in so many ways. Finally.

I am overjoyed that we have a black President of the United States. It's a quantum leap for black culture in the U.S. I can't wait to see black intelligentsia take it's rightful place in American culture at large. That is the most beautiful thing to me.

No matter what though Obama's going to have a tough time if he's going to make the changes that need to be made. We know that change is necessary but the bottom line is people don't like change. I hope he has the strength to move forward with his plans and I hope that we the public have the stomach to put up with the hardships and readjustments that change requires. The truth is that there is no option. Are we going to be proactive and face the problems confronting us or are we going to turn our backs on the choices we've made and let the results bite us in the ass? Whatever happens Obama's going to get a lot of blame.

Last night at around midnight Marc and I split a bottle of champagne, made some buffalo popcorn (popcorn with Red Hot sauce in the butter) and watched some of The Simpsons Movie. I can't wait to hear what Pete did in New Orleans.

No comments: