Thursday, November 18, 2010

Further Not Reading

I tried reading "The Girl Who Played With Fire" again last night.  Strangely, it reminded me of what I am writing which kind of put me off.  It's more polished, the subject matter is completely different and it had a clear underlying theme - it's obviously going somewhere - unlike what I'm writing.  It just felt so familiar while the words were running though my brain.

This was the first time I've tried reading any novels since I started writing mine.  It will be interesting to try another one and see if the same thing happens.  Henry James, maybe - right?  I think just like that guy.

I also discovered that I still don't feel up to reading about people in trouble - even if I know they'll deal with it just fine.

Graffitiliving commented that I should try audiobooks.  I think that's a great idea.  I can stand to listen to the news on NPR slightly better than I can bear reading about people in trouble.  Still, even there I find myself plugging in my iPod more quickly than I used to.

Of course what piece of literature isn't about someone in trouble?  You've got to have tension somewhere or people will get bored.  Maybe I should try a romance.  Unrequited love is interesting.  You can empathize with the character without fearing they're about to get raped and killed.  With a romance the only thing you have to fear is that the love scenes (or the writing style) will make you nauseous.

1 comment:

Hope said...

I totally <3 audio books. I listen to them while I sew.