Friday, September 7, 2007

Vermont Nature News

It's dry dry dry here. I don't know when it rained last. Our pond is just about empty. The grass is brown. Our land has springs so usually it's a bit boggy in spots and you have to watch where you drive the mower. Not this year. It's a quiet year for frogs.

The cilantro and mustard greens bolted weeks ago. However I did just have a couple of really good pears from our pear tree and the butterfly bush is crowded with butterflies. We've even seen a hummingbird moth on it a few times. A hummingbird moth looks like it's part hummingbird, part lobster. The link leads to a really good bug identifying site: whatsthatbug.com

Today I was coming out of Target and three flocks of geese flew by right over the parking lot. Two nights ago Pete heard coyotes yapping in the night. Every night we hear owls. I haven't seen turkeys on our land lately though. And we have a new woodchuck - unless Sylvie, the neighbors' dog, got it yesterday. I like woodchucks. They're kind of cozy and domestic. I don't mean you invite them in the house, I just think of them as having nice families. They can really do a number on your foundation though - and forget about having a vegetable garden.

And yes, we're starting to get a little fall color here and there.

No comments: