Friday, September 21, 2007

Back from the Neurologist


SO- we're halving the cyclosporine, injecting more cytosar, adding baytril (an antibiotic) leaving the prednisone as is and anxiously awaiting the arrival of the wheelchair. We'll deal with the lomustine in a couple of weeks. The neuorologist said that if Fay doesn't improve over the next few days there are a few other drugs we could try. We could also try increasing the prednisone again, only giving it every other day which helps the body tolerate the side effects.

The poor Blob is really dragging her rear around these days. Again, her front legs work just great. She can do a mean wheelbarrow. This talent is useless when she needs to go to the bathroom though.

She let me sleep through the night last night - no 2:30 or 4:00 AM trips outside. I got to sleep all the way until 5:30.

The wheelchair comes next Tuesday, the same day that Fay has an appointment with an acupuncturist. The acupuncturist treated our friends' dog a few days ago and it made a HUGE difference in her ability to get around. It would be so nice if it could work as well for Fay.

As for how the next couple of months could go, there seems to be no change. She might get a little better, she might get worse, she might be paralyzed in the rear and wheelchair dependent. She might become incontinent and need diapers. The vet doesn't seem concerned that Fay could die in the next couple of months. But we do need to keep the disease from spreading to her brain because that would be the beginning of the end.

I have no idea how to deal with a paralyzed, incontinent dog. There has to be a Yahoo group for it though. All these new things I'm learning.

One interesting thing I've found out is that I'm a very practical caretaker. I find that I can just deal with things that could be upsetting. And I don't waste a lot of time thinking about what Fay used to be able to do or wishing that things weren't as bad as they are. I just feel like this is what we're doing now.

Of course sometimes I'll be in the shower and see a dark shape on the floor outside and for a split second I'll think that Fay's come to keep me company in the bathroom (I'm really nearsighted and I can't see a thing in the shower without my glasses) Then I'll realize that that's impossible, she's downstairs and can't come up on her own and that those are my pants. That's a bit of a bummer.

Mostly I just take things as they arise. It would be harder if I thought Fay was feeling bad. I think the decreased mobility is starting to get to her. It sucks to have to drag yourself through your own wastes and to fall down when you're trying to drink some water and to be unable to reach the treat fragment that's just a few inches away. But she still enjoys treats and chewing things and seeing old friends. The weather's been somewhat cooperative so she's been able to stay cool.

I hope to God this wheelchair helps!

The photo shows Pete playing Big Brain Academy on the ferry back from Long Island.

No comments: