Saturday, August 11, 2007

Lilies by the Physocarpus


I would like to point out that it is August 11 and it's forty-five degrees out. Sure, it's not quite 8 AM yet but still. This would never happen in Bethesda, MD where I grew up. I LOVE this! I live in New England for a reason.

Fay's feeling perkier in this coolness. However we're reducing her pred dosage so her legs are a bit floppier. Still she doesn't care. She doesn't want me to help her up the deck stairs.

I put these lilies in last Fall. I've never grown lilies before. I love them. They smell amazing. I think I'll put more in this Fall. Every Spring I say to myself, "more bulbs!" Now I have to add "more lilies!" and "more shrubs!" Where I'll get the money for it is another story.

Last week when it was really hot the herb garden smelled like lilies and baked roses. It made me think maybe I should tip the balance away from herbs and add more roses and lilies. However if I play my cards right everything could smell fantastic: herby, rosy and lily-y.

I have to leave Vermont for a couple of weeks. I'm not happy about it. I should be because next week we're going to my parents' beach house. The only time I really like Summer is when I'm at the beach.

But my life runs mostly the way I want it to only in Vermont. I get regular exercise, I work in my studio, I knit, I even eat right most of the time. I don't know why it's so difficult to make things go the way I want them to anywhere else. Maybe there are more people putting demands on my time everywhere else? It's easier to shut everything out here and concentrate on the things that are important to me. I still don't get as much done as I'd like but at least here I'm in a position to try.

No comments: