Friday, April 17, 2009

Commercial Flying

I can admit it now - I used to be afraid to fly.  

It wasn't a problem when I was younger.  Sometime in my twenties it hit and it continued through my thirties.

I forget when I picked up my knitting needles again.  Late thirties maybe?  That's what helped me to fly again.  No knitter ever has enough time to do the knitting they want to do but what else is there to do on a flight?  Might as well indulge.

After a few years of knitting on flights I can now say that I actually love flying.  It seems impossible to believe but I actually love the airport.  I love getting the yogurt parfait at some sandwich stand.  I love looking at all the people on my way to the gate and I love sitting at the gate waiting for my flight and setting up my in-flight knitting project.

Okay, sometimes I pray furiously when there's so much turbulence that I can't get my needle to go in the right loop.  Sometimes I worry about Fay when she's panting in a carry-on bag under the seat in front of me.  Also, I would never ordinarily choose to eat whatever dehydrated salt-based slurry product it is they hand out with the complimentary drink.  Flying has grown on me though.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I used to be afraid of the thought of flying. Never got on a plane until my husband and I took a vacation to Florida not long before he died. And then, a few years later, I got on a plane by myself to visit Internet friends in Phoenix. They were worried about me, because they knew it was my first flight alone and it was storming in AZ. But I was watching the lightning off in the mountains, thinking... "Whoa, that is COOL!"

The only city I don't like flying into is Chicago, and then I think Midway is worse than O'Hare. Because they don't call it the windy city for nothing, and landing is always a little bit scary. Maybe I should learn to knit? :)