Monday, June 2, 2008

I Don't Want To Be A Responsible Adult II: Where Do I Go To Get A Nellie?

Sub-sub title: Is There Any Way That I Can Shirk Any More Responsibilities Than I Already Do?

Thelonius Monk had Nellie to do all his dirty work for him. Maybe I have to be more of a genius to get one. Or maybe I need to be more incompetent.

I'm thinking of the creative people who are pretty much incompetent in other areas of their life who somehow manage to attract the devotion of someone who will take care of all that for them. "Creative" gets to do their work and socialize and have fun while "Devoted" pays the bills and sees to the housework and advocates for Creative out in the world.

The curse of not being bent enough: I have to do everything for myself (or else let some stuff slide!)

Then again there are those people who can't get it together and haven't lucked into a Devoted who end up making drunken, accusatory phone calls at three o'clock in the morning to the few friends they have left from a motel in the middle of nowhere on their way to rehab.

Maybe I should just be grateful for what I have.

No comments: