Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Going 55 MPH

I drove down to Brookline today in hopes of digging up more antibiotics for Fay.

On the way I decided to really try to drive no faster than 55 mph as much as possible. Routes 12 and 140 were no problem but Route 2 can be dangerous. Most people go about 65-70 on Route 2 even though the speed limit gets down to 45 in some places. Then there's Route 128 encircling Boston. People go 60 to 80 on 128. In the breakdown lanes.

I have tried going 55 other times and been forced to give up because at that speed I was more of an obstruction than just someone going in the slow lane. Today though, with gas at around $4 a gallon, I had some company on the right side of the road.

I was thinking going 55 is kind of the driving equivalent of becoming veg for me: I love driving fast and the taste of bacon but I'm giving up both for the greater good. Ha!

Again, what pathetic vices I have. Speed, bacon and shoes. At least I still have the shoes.

No comments: