Saturday, March 22, 2008

Easter Weekend

Pete and I got up at 4:45 this morning so he could catch an early flight to Florida to see his family for Easter. I couldn't get a sitter for Fay over the holiday so I was going to stay home by myself. Instead, my parents came to see me.

Mom and Dad flew in on Thursday. Now that they're Southern Californians they can't take a chill like they used to. We decided they should stay at the Copley Westin because it's attached to the Copley Mall which is attached to the Prudential Center mall and there would be all kinds of things they could do without having to go outside. Like shop. So far it's working very well. Their room is very nice and has an amazing view of the Charles. You can see everything from the Citgo sign to the Leonard Zakim Bridge, to the golden dome of the State House and whatever all that stuff is to the right of the Hancock Tower. You can see people walking around inside the Public Library, cars being pulled over for moving violations on Dartmouth street and people getting their pictures taken in front of Trinity Church. I imagine the skateboarders will be out doing their stuff later today too.

The best thing though is that the Anime Boston convention is going on this weekend. Since the Hynes Convention Center is also attached to the Prudential Center the malls and restaurants are swamped with people dressed up as Anime characters. It's way more costume-intensive than the Star Trek convention I went to there back in the early nineties. It's been so fun to see everyone enjoying themselves and their costumes and wigs. I wish I had a convention to go to!

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Happy Easter Mel and Pete! Thanks for talking about the Anime Convention. Now I am addicted to the band The Pillows : )

Anonymous said...

Wow Mel Does this happen every year?
at 10 Rene Beans is a Anime Admirer and quite the illustrator! Love your Blog bits...