Monday, January 28, 2008

Yes, I Did

I did go Veg. Back in December. There's an article on nytimes.com by Mark Bittman that sums up exactly why - minus the overfishing aspect. If you don't want to read the whole article the high points are these (there are three, in case you don't want to read them either):
  1. "...assembly-line meat factories consume enormous amounts of energy, pollute water supplies, generate significant greenhouse gases and require ever-increasing amounts of corn, soy and other grains, a dependency that has led to the destruction of vast swaths of the world’s tropical rain forests."
  2. "...if Americans were to reduce meat consumption by just 20 percent it would be as if we all switched from a standard sedan — a Camry, say — to the ultra-efficient Prius."
  3. "Because the stomachs of cattle are meant to digest grass, not grain, cattle raised industrially thrive only in the sense that they gain weight quickly. This diet made it possible to remove cattle from their natural environment and encourage the efficiency of mass confinement and slaughter. But it causes enough health problems that administration of antibiotics is routine, so much so that it can result in antibiotic-resistant bacteria that threaten the usefulness of medicines that treat people."
The American-style meat industry has global negative impacts which are thoroughly covered in the article itself.

I love eating meat, especially bacon, but my "tasty" versus "worried" ratio turned over. I'm not militant about it. I'll eat meat (or fish) if I'm at someone's house and that's what they made or if the alternative is deep fried wads. I'm not trying to convince anyone else to go veg either. I'm just showing all four of my readers how I finally got worried enough that my mental discomfort overcame my sense of physical discomfort.

Fay, however, will always be a carnivore.

On a more cheerful note, my friend Jill told me about the "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World" cookbook. Cupcakes are not bacon (there's no substitute for bacon) but they sure are tasty and enticing. I'm getting really hungry looking at the Customer Images on Amazon.

No comments: