Saturday, December 29, 2007

Something I Feel Strongly About

If you have curly hair LET YOUR FREAK FLAG FLY!

I hate reading about celebrities who claim to have "very curly hair" and who you never see with curly hair. Are they ashamed of it?

How annoying is it that in the movie, " The Princess Diaries," they straightened the main character's hair to make her acceptable? Tedious!

Straight haired people are always telling me "Oh I wish I had your hair!" And yet there's all this cultural pressure on curly haired people to be "normal" and iron their hair straight.

Curly hair needs a higher profile so those of us who aren't famous can feel less freakish and more beautiful. To this day the only person in the media that I vaguely resemble is Johnny Whitaker. Sure, he's adorable, but he's a guy!

Okay, no one should look to popular media as a source of self-esteem. But we all do one way or another. Everybody's always talking about positive role models in the media. Where's the curly hair?

And yes, it builds character to be thwarted at every turn and to base your sense of self-worth on hard-won truths regardless of the opinions of others and not on the fact that you look like someone who is rich and famous and therefore presumably successful. But how much character does a person really need?

It's too late for me - hell, I've got tons of character - but, ironically enough, I'd like the way to be smoother for other curlies making their way through life.

Curly haired people of all walks of life - come out!
Shed your shame!
Flaunt your curls!
Stick it to The Straight Haired Man!
He's keeping us down in the bathroom with a blow-dryer for hours!
We don't need this!
Reclaim hours out of your week!

WILD IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Opulently I agree but I contemplate the post should acquire more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Correctly your article helped me very much in my college assignment. Hats incorrect to you enter, intention look ahead in the direction of more interdependent articles soon as its sole of my choice topic to read.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.