Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mixed Bag

I was furious for most of today. I was supposed to go have dinner with Michaela tonight but I woke up with a cold.  GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!  We haven't met in ages, in part because it's been mud season and she couldn't get off her mountain (the roads were too bad)  Also because I couldn't eat or drink anything but crackers and water.

This cold was a real disappointment because I feel like I've been taking care of myself.  I've been eating mostly normally again for about a week.  I haven't been drinking much alcohol.  I've been mostly at home, going to bed at a decent hour, meditating and doing yoga, working steadily but not trying to overdo it.

We had a party for Pete's birthday this past Saturday (if you weren't invited, check your junk mail folder - or else it was an oversight.  We went retro and invited people by e-mail)  That night I had two beers and went to bed at around 2:30 AM (I also had a really fun time) The next morning we got up at 9:30 and had brunch with some other friends.  That's it for any kind fun activity.  No craziness at all.

Short of not getting out of bed at all, I don't know how much easier I can take it.  I guess I haven't been that sick lately.  There was the hell flu in January then the food poisoning and now this.  That's a lot for me though.  It makes me wonder if Life is trying to tell me something. Couldn't it just send me an e-mail or post it on my wall or something?  Yes, I do need it spelled out for me!  Thank you!

I've been stressing a little about getting my painting done in time for Friday.  It's very almost there.  I got some stretchers for it so it has support now.  The only problem is that the painting doesn't fit in the car when it's on the stretchers.  I'm going to have to take it apart to get it to the show and reassemble it on site.  Wish me luck.

In floral news, I succumbed to the charms of yet another grocery store plant.  This time it's a gardenia.  Gardenia is one of my favorite smells.  I've been lucky enough to have gone to Trader Vic's more than once.  At Trader Vic's every lady gets a gardenia blossom in her drink.  Gardenia blossoms are few and far between in my experience.

Too bad this isn't smelevision.

The problem with gardenia bushes in New England is that they are very sensitive.  The first time I bought one it got too cold on the way from the market into my house.  I just drove from the market to my house (five minutes) and carried it in the house.  All the nice,  fat buds fell off the plant.

So you pretty much have to time your Gardenia acquisition to a day when it's well over freezing outside. This gardenia is also very thirsty.  It needs to be watered every other day or so.  Conventional wisdom for house plants (as far as I know) is that you water them once a week.  I left this plant for four days last week and when I got back it had collapsed.  I had watered it the day I left.  It has recovered with no ill effects, hallelujah.  Next time I go back to Cambridge this plant is going with me.  Like a pet.

So far both plants are doing well.  They're both showing new growth.  I have high hopes for them making it past the last frost date and out into planters on my patio.

Overall I feel that I've come to terms with today.  I didn't get to see my friend and I feel physically uncomfortable but so far so good with my painting and my flowers are pretty and smell nice.  I can be at peace with that.  March, the vilest month of the year, is almost over (I hope it doesn't kick my ass for saying that)  Maybe April will be more fun.  You never know.

Farewell to you all, from Puffs Plus Mountain!

No comments: