Monday, November 4, 2013

In Honor

In honor of our friend who passed today, I post (again?) the recipe I use for for Cincinnati Chili, to which he introduced us (my comments in parenthesis) I'll likely be cooking up a big batch tomorrow.

Cincinnati Empress Chili

For the chili:
2 lbs. ground beef 
1 qt.  water  (4 cups)
1  & 1/2 t. allspice
1 garlic clove (I used more of course)
2 bay leaves
2 diced onions
dash worcestershire
1  can (6oz) tomato paste
1 T. salt
1/2 t. cayenne
1 & 1/2 t.  black pepper
3 T. chili powder (though I used less than 1T because I ran out and it still came out well)
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. cumin
1 T. vinegar

spaghetti - make a pretty fair amount 

Toppings:
orange cheddar cheese grated
kidney beans
chopped onions
oyster crackers
Tabasco sauce

Put the water in a large pot or hotpot.  Crumble meat into the water (yes, raw)  and add all the other chili ingredients.  Bring to a boil then simmer at least one hour and for as long as three hours.  Remove garlic and bay leaves.  (or leave in the garlic and mash it if you’re me)  Serve over spaghetti with your choice of toppings.


Serves six or so

Godspeed, dear friend! We'll never forget you!

No comments: