Sunday, May 19, 2013

Whine!

A quick, kind-of mini-complaint:

I started running again over last summer. Since this past February I'd been pretty hardcore about running three days a week (doing the program in The Beginning Runner's Handbook: The Proven 13-Week RunWalk Program like I do every few years) alternating with yoga. I'd have the occasional setback where I couldn't run for three or four days in a row and I'd have to start a week or two back in the program but I was up to week 10. I even joined a gym in March and went regularly.

A couple of weeks ago I had my annual physical and it turned out that the small cough I'd picked up two days earlier was pneumonia. Boo! Pneumonia bites! Okay, I only had about three days when I felt truly terrible and then the antibiotics kicked in. I was able to have A LOT of fun even though I was still sick. However I was not able to think much (I guess fighting the infection made my head kind of foggy) and I didn't move my body much for two weeks.

I started running again a couple of days ago, back at the beginning of my program. Week one. That's okay. I figure I can run faster this time. It still counts as the same amount of exercise as far as I can see. My metabolism is keeping up. My cardio's even pretty good. I wasn't sure how it would go after having so much trouble breathing but it's okay.

My poor body is so sad and decrepit now though! My legs ached after the first run that no one should have trouble doing! I did yoga for the first time today and all my nice, formerly stretchy muscles have retracted and I'm all tight again. Sigh.

Gotta keep going though and not be discouraged, otherwise it's not going to get better. At least I get to run again. I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MUCH I LOOOOOOVE RUNNING! Love it. I'll just have to struggle through the yoga again. The yoga bug has yet to bite me. I still do it though because it's good for me. Oy.

So many people have so, so, so much more to complain about than I do. I'm just venting. Sorry.

No comments: