Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What If...

Okay, you know krill, food of whales?  I know you do but I linked to the wikipedia entry for it just because I could.  Also, I'm thinking "Krill" could be a good band name.

Anyway, I was thinking about bugs tonight and about how in a way mosquitos are krill of the air.  What if there were air whales?  What if air whales came to your barbeque and were swooping around devouring clouds of mosquitos?

This summer has been a big one for the mosquitos here in Vermont.  Many times this summer I've been out grilling food, hearing a thunderous hum of mosquitos at my back.  I've really expected to turn around and see a dense cloud of them right behind me just like in the Off commercials.  What if you turned around and instead you saw the gaping maw of an air whale coming at you?  It would probably take some getting used to.

I am always happy to see the bats swooping around in the evening.  I always wish them good health and hearty eating.  I guess it's good that they don't have to compete with air whales.  However I do wish they could improve their mosquito eating volume.  I have this idea that they really go for the large moths.  You know, one big meal, rather than a mess of hors d'oeuvres.  I would like to convince them that hors d'oeuvres are usually much tastier than an entrée.  If they went for the mosquitos that would really help me out.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm going to be dreaming about air whales tonight, and I'm not at all unhappy about it! Off to bed...

Unknown said...

I imagine that they're cute and friendly looking, like beluga whales.