Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cursed



This cake is cursed. I'm pretty sure I cursed several times in the making of this cake, therefore it is certainly cursed. Or maybe I am.

Four days ago I tweeted that I was going to make "the chocolatiest cake" I could figure out how to make. This is it, right here, finished today.

I made the cakes yesterday, the first day that I actually had all the ingredients and the equipment I needed. I ran out of time to make the frosting so I made that today.

You know what it looks like to me? That expanding foam insulation that comes in a spray can.

I am disappointed in its chocolatiness. The frosting is a so-called "Mousse Buttercreammm." It is very mousse-y but not as chocolaty as I would have liked. It isn't very butter-creamy at all. The mousse is tasty but I think what I really wanted was more like a ganache.

I haven't tried the cake yet so I don't know how it tastes but I can already tell that it won't be the cake I'd pictured myself making four days ago. I thought I was going to make something a bit more robust. More like a cake-mix-and-can-of-icing cake only with no artificial flavoring or corn syrup.

Both the cake and the frosting were a lot of work. I was whisking eggs, sugar and cocoa in a double boiler for the frosting alone. This thing had better taste good!

I'm actually afraid that when I try to cut it the middle layers will squirt out the side like the ice cream in the middle of an ice cream sandwich when you're down to your third-to-last bite.

Suddenly it also dawns on me that I need to think of something to make for dinner.

I'm cursed. I mean, I'm cursing.

And who the hell (over the age of 8) has the nerve to be cranky about cake?


3 comments:

Jenn said...

I want to plant my face in that cake.

Unknown said...

It would be nice and soft and cushy for you and you'd probably smother in the icing.

Michaela said...

I want to know how it tastes! Details. Details. Come on... don't be a chocolate-teaser...